Monday, October 08, 2007 @2:02 AM
sometimes, argh, sometimes you just can't tell between the fine lines, and there're so many questions that will only remain unanswered and hidden in a grey mess because when the time comes for the black to be black and the white to be white it'll mean that so much attention and little things we cherish about each other might just disappear in a flash. But love will sustain it, she says, true godly love, and while I can't do anything but wait and let the sun shine on, I must watch myself and listen out for the One who leads; not run ahead of Him nor lag behind, as they say, lest someone walks away feeling the pierce from a never-intended wound... Ah! But the heart is too soft, too weak, too easily moved!On another note, I went for Damien Rice at Wembley yesterday. And it was. awesome. great. wow. He ended with Cannonball and Blower's Daughter, which were fantastically fantastically sung (I had never realised just how powerful and good his voice can be until I heard him live). And there's just something about Damien that sings to your soul; his honesty, his transparency, his fumbling mumbling shy stuttering self (or persona)... yes, his honesty. And what angst, my goodness. There were so many songs that inclined much closer to heavy rock, even metal maybe, (electric distortions,
reallyloud drums, white blinding flashing lights, screaming into the mike) and that surprised me quite a bit - I'd never thought Damien Rice sang such songs - but I guess he wanted to involve the whole band rather than let them space out while he croons his acoustic folk repertoire. Which I thought was kind and nice of him. Arrangement of songs were good as he interweaved the heavy stuff with his signature folksy songs, and I can never repeat too much the fact that he sings well. He sings really well.
Did a tribute to Aung Sang Suu Kyi in the end too; he wrote a song in her honour and sang it on the piano. Raised awareness of the situation by playing a video in the background, and recorded everyone in the arena chanting the democracy chant that the Burmese monks chanted. Very heartening to know that he's using his popularity for meaningful purposes, and not in an affected, celebrity fashion - but in his shy, conscious, fumbling mumbling, stuttering,
sincere self. Or persona.
Ah, Damien! <3