Friday, September 28, 2007 @12:56 AM
Been here for about 2 weeks now; and my fascination with London hasn't diminished one bit - only that prices here are frightfully, frightfully high. Have been calculating my settling-in expenses and feeling guilty about certain non-necessary expenses, haunted by the chants that go "live simply. live simply." while at the same time trying to understand that permitting myself certain luxuries also fell into the grace of God. London, london. I have half a mind to appeal to MOE for theatre-going tickets. After all, it
is part of my course. Kinda.
It's abit daunting when everyone in your seminars knows so much more than you, and particularly if they've had experience in certain fields before. On the MA I meet so many different personages with their own humps of experiences, whether a year (or many) in the workplace or abroad. The travel writer, the Portugese theatre and dance journalist with 4 children, the 31-year-old drummer in 3 bands playing in London, the disillusioned German, the seasoned Londoner, the stage actress, the jazz and blues singer, the publishing firm employee, the Pharmacy graduate, the typical Warwick-Kings-Leeds-whatever fresh graduate, and so on. I'm simply in awe of just what these people do, and the environment that provides such opportunities and what seems to us like adventures in an 'other' world. I wish I were more daring, more forthright, more able socially and network-wise. If I could just make the right contact, play and sing in a bar, meanwhile get some cash......
But God provides the opportunities, eh? 'tis all in His hands, and if that's not in His plan then I don't mind either. All I can do now is build myself up for if and when those doors open... and health is one of the priorities I s'pose. Have realised that my physical condition affects my singing and energy-level tremendously; and whilst I try to reach those Bs and Cs with a powerless diaphragm I've decided to blow 44 quid a month on a health club that offers resources to a pool, gym, and free classes like jazz/bellydancing and Pilates. more expenditures...
but I'm enjoying it so far. :) The meeting-up with people and academic seminars have been good so far. Spent a night out with 4 other girls in my seminar and Jun (Pow, by which some of you know him. What a small world he's doing a MMus in Kings too!) and it's been some fun getting to know (or re-know) them. The place where I live (Old Street) is apparently also the latest 'cool' place in London, 'cuz further off the street there are lots of live music events and bars and fashionable people, but thankfully the street down my side is residential and hence, quiet. The other 2 girls in my flat are students at the London College of Fashion, and one of them's doing a Bachelor's in Women's Wear. How cool is that! She has kindly agreed to design and make a dress for me if an occasion arises that I shall require it. One's from HK and the other's from Malaysia; so far we've been getting along well. Increasingly thankful for this place because it's pretty central and the rent is conveniently low!
Shan't babble on any longer 'cuz I need some sleep. Thanks for all your prayers and love! muacks. :)