Thursday, March 08, 2007 @5:18 PM
While I was cycling at the gym this afternoon, MTV was playing the top 20 movie songs of all time, which was pretty entertaining looking back at the old days with MTVs like Moulin Rouge's
Lady Marmalade and Madonna's
Don't Cry For Me Argentina. And while I decided to getting engrossed in
Culture and Anarchy the old familiar prelude of
Unchained Melody started playing, and my eyes jolted up to the screen - it so happened that the gymmers around me started turning their eyes to the stage MTV of the Righteous Brothers too. Then the Indian girl a few bike stations down started mouthing the words, and through the mirror's reflection I saw the Asian girl on the treadmill singing to it too.
"Great song, isn't it?" said the Indian girl.
"Yeah. Childhood." I replied.
Strange that such a sweet soppy song of old has such an effect - a
bonding effect if you may call it. For me, it did bring a smile to my face as I thought of the old cheesy songs on the karaoke set my dad bought home at East Coast Ville, when I was about 5-6. And for most of my spare time I'd plug in the microphones and croon to songs whose lyrics I never paid attention to, songs like
Eternal Flame,
Great Pretender and
Woman in Love. I got hooked onto singing then, and never turned back since.
Pretty normal day, productive, and tho I'm quite tired and stressed from all the reading I feel an increasing sense of thankfulness for every small thing. Met up with Eleena later in the afternoon and we had a great chat; there was mutual understanding, a deep connection, an opening of hearts. (I heart you, dear!) And I walked home the village way from Alcuin, smiling at the sun, the beautiful blue sky, the lovely Chinese dad and his two kids walking along the road, the beautiful daffodils and the to-be daffodils; smiling in my heart - for all the faithfulness that God has shown.
I heart you, God!