<body> <body>

Saturday, February 17, 2007 @12:36 PM

Older and wiser people have told me that you see the true natures of people only when problems strike; when all the world's a peaceful haven it's so easy for people to be nice in'it? To be loving, selfless, wonderful... and I guess that's partly why I'm so thankful to be in York. It's such a small community that frictions are inevitable, since all the small things start to matter. But in such a small and harmless context of university in York, these frictions are at least given a chance to be exposed without too much danger. In the city, I find, these frictions get swept under the carpet because there're too many distractions, too much people traffic, too many activities - But these things that get swept under the carpet are still problems, only buried and hidden until one day a problem or person weighty enough brings it all out to light, and there it explodes, or implodes. A claustrophobic environment like this brings it out a little at a time, tries our patience, checks our pride, increases our ability to love. So difficult, but at least there's progress. Better than a lifetime of unknowing repression that culminates in a mid-life crisis of relationships and all. Seems that quarter-life crises are in vogue, even!

Will the world then be a better place if everyone took each problem as a check on one's little pandora bubble of failings? It might tend to excessive self-flagaration though, but being prone to that myself I realise that by self-imposing so much guilt it means that I had so much pride in my self to begin with - that I'm not prone to error, that I shouldn't be prone to error, that I mustn't, I wouldn't, I --

Pride.

But in realising that I've a bubble of both strengths and failings, and yes, accepting that in joy (the hard bit) because each encounter with a weakness is teaching me to love more, I'm recognising slowly but steadily the truths about a person, about persons, about inter-personal relations. And I've come to realise that frictions between 2 people always symptomise problems on both sides, and surely this is nothing new. The little bubble of failings we carry on our skins always rub off on certain people in a bad way, especially when these 2 bubbles collide in a way that re-enacts clashes with certain difficult people of the past. And sooner or later this bubble of failings will rub off badly even on people you get along well with at present, especially when proximity and frequency of contact increase. It's no wonder then that marriages are so difficult, or that people always want some individual 'space' - no one's quite as willing to face or sort out their little bubble of failings completely, each is content to keep it as it is, hide it, hide it from the public view. Avoid confrontations, keep up a performance, 'tis all a social thing anyway.
But when each problem comes along, whether it's a breakdown of the photocopier machine, or a bus that runs 30 mins late, or when a person's incredibly annoying - perhaps the world will just be a better place if we're not too anxious to point the finger at other causes, even when there's a fault with them... because there's a fault in our bubbles that we need to sort out in the first place. And it's easier to deal with oneself than to manage the bubbles of others, no?

"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye?" Matthew 7:3-4

Thank God for frictions! And for pain in those situations! I'm being humbled with all the tears and frustrations, but humbled also in knowing that I can't change myself, or people, but I surrender to One who can and who has. And as these many little failings get sorted out in safe environments like York's, transitioning to the next year in London or Singapore would mean healthier relationships and more self-awareness - frictions no longer have to be swept under the carpet because they've been accustomed to be dealt with in a transparent, honest and loving manner here in York. And it's times like these I'm ever so grateful for problems, for people, for my little bubble of failings, and I rejoice in the fact that there's more to go, more onion layers to peel, more love to learn. :)

Girl in Question

j.tan.eq
King's College London
English Literature
a fluffball of non-sequitors
and loving the Lord


Psalm 139:9-10

If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there Your hand will guide me,
Your right hand will hold me fast.

LINKS

.child sponsorship. send a cow. ethically green. ethical fashion. war on want - fight global poverty. tax justice network. killer coke and coca-cola crimes. christian apologetics. a father's heart for you. cute overload. singapore angle. international volunteering opportunities. teaching abroad. online bible. our daily bread. all recipes. online music marketplace.

SPEAK IT



PICTURES

London, Egypt, Barcelona & Paris: Jun-Jul '07.
Skiing at Flaine Resort, France: Mar '07.
Tanzania: Jan '07.

& ARCHIVES

October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
August 2008