<body> <body>

Saturday, December 03, 2005 @3:23 AM

In response to an alerting response from Yaozhu regarding my earlier post about Rich, I realise I'd better write (type) a disclaimer lest people start to question and my mom's heart starts palpitating, and it goes as follows:

Eesh Rich was just a guy I sat next to on the bus when I came back from houseparty! 0_0
Nothing, nothing at all.

Besides, I Kissed Dating Goodbye. ;)

Anyway..... I can't believe I played Mafia (a one-up version of polar bear) for close to 2 hours. I think I'm getting bored of that game and the denials that people put up, just wonder if there could be any twist to the way the game's played... Initially it was really fun because of all the mock-politics and psychology, but it gets really dreary after a while and soon you start to see that people wear all kinds of masks and it gets harder and harder to tell when you've got to search through the layers of double-bluffs and triple-bluffs and what nots.
Yeah, I know, it's just a game.
Maybe it's this time of the night when I think too much.. hehe. But anyway no one can deny what I say right? The game's a microcosm of the world sometimes...

On the bright side! Had a really interesting evening with (forgive me if I spell their names wrongly) Teggae, Tetsuya, Himeko, Michelle, Ed, Stanley, Chung Man. It was amazingly intriguing to see 3 languages fly across the table at the same time - cantonese, english, japanese. very occasionally even Chinese. (nationalities at the table consisted of HKers, Japanese, English, Singaporeans and Chinese) Wow. Suddenly I felt 3/4/5 countries and cultures shrink to a table, and felt the whole world particularly tiny. For some reason it was enlightening yet claustrophobic at the same time. But it was cool. Had so much fun playing mahjong/mafia precisely because it was cross-cultural... and universal at the same time.
But anyway! Before that most of us were at the CU International event.. 'twas a Christmas partyish thing with snacks and mince pies and a talk and I had the privilege to lead them in some carols. Did my favourites! O Holy Night and It Came Upon the Midnight Clear. I did a verse of Silent Night in Chinese too ;) Think the non-Chinese-speaking people had some fun with it... yeah it was all good fun. More importantly I had some good conversations in a mixture of bad Chinese and English desperately thrown in to illustrate some points. I do wonder if I've talked too much... oh wells. But I'm glad I had the opportunity to share. :)

Ahhh! I did my first 1-2-1 mainly in CHINESE yesterday! woohoo! What a great achievement considering my Chinese has always been considered horrible in Singapore... haha. God does wonders. I read a chapter of a book in Chinese as preparation - gosh it's been like 4 years? 5? since I've read a book in Chinese - and yeah I realised that my Chinese is still quite....... ahem. Haha. :) Couldn't recognise like 30% of the words and it doesn't help that they're all in traditional form instead of the simplified one, but yeah, I learnt some terms along the way. Learnt a cool term like 杜撰. whoaaa chim huh. :D never heard that word in my life.... or probably it was in one of the 手册s of vocabulary we were indirectly forced to memorise and regurgitate for the exams. So it's all puked onto the exam scores and left behind in dust and moth-rot. Don't think my Chinese school education helped very much...
But I digress! Anyways. I'm so glad I have more opportunities to hone meine Chinesisch hier in York. me mommy will be so pwoud of me.

yes, anyway. There were a lot more thoughts running through my head in the course of the past 2 days but in sleep-deprived moments like these the thoughts just vanish. I shall go to sleep now, and awake tomorrow to God's renewed mercies like every morn... and to a day of relaxation and brunch with Charmain and shopping in town. Love ya all *muah*

Girl in Question

j.tan.eq
King's College London
English Literature
a fluffball of non-sequitors
and loving the Lord


Psalm 139:9-10

If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there Your hand will guide me,
Your right hand will hold me fast.

LINKS

.child sponsorship. send a cow. ethically green. ethical fashion. war on want - fight global poverty. tax justice network. killer coke and coca-cola crimes. christian apologetics. a father's heart for you. cute overload. singapore angle. international volunteering opportunities. teaching abroad. online bible. our daily bread. all recipes. online music marketplace.

SPEAK IT



PICTURES

London, Egypt, Barcelona & Paris: Jun-Jul '07.
Skiing at Flaine Resort, France: Mar '07.
Tanzania: Jan '07.

& ARCHIVES

October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
August 2008