<body> <body>

Wednesday, December 21, 2005 @12:07 PM

Had a really special night out yesterday,

spe·cial Audio pronunciation of "special" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (spshl)
adj.

1. Surpassing what is common or usual; exceptional: a special occasion; a special treat.
2. Distinct among others of a kind: a special type of paint; a special medication for arthritis.


special because I've never ever watched 3 films in a row, and 3 films of such contrasting genres (ironically linked by the theme of Love), never been cooked a meal by guys 'cept during CU Girls' Day Away last year (thanks Rokey and Yaozu for being such stars! :)), and it's been a loooong time since I stayed at a friend's room till 4ish in the morning. Dragging your feet home to Halifax at 4.30am isn't the most exciting thing ever, but between Ailin and I, we had a conversation going, which made the journey seem shorter, and 2 laptops and lots of books, i.e. heavy stuff to whack people with while we walked through the village way. Ha... The Village...

...Corpse Bride. It really seemed like an almost-identical offspring of Nightmare Before Christmas; almost everything was similar! Wonder if that took the dazzle out of the cartoon, even the humour was quite forced sometimes. Still it's pretty interesting, and right through the show I was imagining what it'd be like if it really happened in real life, and how {un}fortunate the bridegroom would be... in Singlish, you'd say wah, very suay leh.

http://www.perhapslovemovie.com
Perhaps, Love. 如果。爱 directed by 陈可辛.
After the film I was so emotionally charged (not necessarily in a teary way) and it was so ineffable all I could do was whineeeee. Nothing beats whining sometimes, even though it just doesn't get your message across to people. Everything in the film was so... convoluted. Theatrical. Makes everything seem a farce. Relationships, love! Like a big theme park, ferris wheel, merry-go-round (perhaps the circus theme contributed to the impression of theatricality and facade), people just don't get anywhere, relationships just don't get anywhere, they go round, and round, and come back to point zero, they die, live, die off... and ABANDONMENT! I just hate the idea of abandonment and irresponsibility. Kinda got me thinking during the film, "is it because of what I've been through that has left me particularly idealistic? Wonder if it's a good thing, but at least I'm not horribly disillusioned like I used to be. or am I still...?" Whine. Whineee.
Perhaps gullibility and naivete are gifts. I'd really like to think the better of Man even though I know and have felt even their many, many, many ugly sides - perhaps it's good that I'm a believing person then.
But! anyways. Like Ailin put it, there's a lot of potential in this film... but it's sad that it just stops there - at potential. Kinda got what the director/producer/scriptwriters were getting at but it seemed all too contrived sometimes...
still! Jacky Cheung's voice is! Amazing! 0_0

40 year old virgin. Just got to know from Tim that it wasn't released in Singapore? Don't know if it was but just closet-ly (wonder if that word exists). Despite all the crudity and nudity, it was such a realistic portrayal of... Americans (and men) and sex! At the end of it it was just so heartening to see the guy consummate with his newly-wedded wife for the first time - it wasn't sick, it wasn't porno, it was sex and God-given, celebratory sex! Sex for the joy and union of the married couple! Think it's just too undermined and commercially+carnally overrated these days. But yeah. I loved the ending. It's just so absurdist. Like spongebob! Hurhur. :) Everyone just started dancing round and round and singing happily, Shakespeare-style. Haha.. absurd...

Okies. Should probably start work now. If anyone knows how I can get my wireless connection to work in the library, or if anyone has any inkling about network connections... give me a buzz. >.<

Girl in Question

j.tan.eq
King's College London
English Literature
a fluffball of non-sequitors
and loving the Lord


Psalm 139:9-10

If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there Your hand will guide me,
Your right hand will hold me fast.

LINKS

.child sponsorship. send a cow. ethically green. ethical fashion. war on want - fight global poverty. tax justice network. killer coke and coca-cola crimes. christian apologetics. a father's heart for you. cute overload. singapore angle. international volunteering opportunities. teaching abroad. online bible. our daily bread. all recipes. online music marketplace.

SPEAK IT



PICTURES

London, Egypt, Barcelona & Paris: Jun-Jul '07.
Skiing at Flaine Resort, France: Mar '07.
Tanzania: Jan '07.

& ARCHIVES

October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
August 2008