Tuesday, May 17, 2005 @10:56 AM
Went for the Rufus Wainwright concert yesterday. Honestly I forgot how much the tickets cost, but Jo told me they were going on ebay for 67 pounds... which is exorbitant. 'twas held in the Grand Opera House, which is a smallish but cosy theatre. It looked exactly like the theatre and boxes in my imagination of the 1700s - restoration plays, etc. The facades looked kinda plastic though... still it was cool to be there ;) I was within arm's length of him after the concert.. my friends even hugged him! haha.
I didn't expect so many oldish people there tho! The age range is probably 20-50, with most of them around the 30-40 range. Middle age men were whistling and cheering and middle-aged women waited anxiously outside the Opera House for his signature and final off-stage appearance. Don't get me wrong, I'm not an agist! I was just pretty surprised that Rufus captivated people of 'all' ages... could be because of his parents? Oh now, I should give him the credit...
And he deserves it! Wasn't so much amazed by his voice - it's vv unique and powerful, but I just don't like the nasal quality of it. Preference, I suppose. But I LOVE the way he plays the piano. Oh goodness! His fingers were long and thin, his wrist arched over the keys in a perfect posture.... and the hands just glided over the piano effortlessly. It was amazing!! I'm starting to grow fonder of his music now I've seen him live...
And yes, there was an unexpected and amusing (but disturbing) encore. He stripped to his underwear (shiny sparkly sequinned blue) and long striped socks, wore red pumps and fairy wings, plus a sash that said "Miss York"... and a tiara! I looked on in... bewilderment... The rest of the cast enthusiastically stripped to their various costumes as well. But as it went on it got more artistic than sleazy I suppose... it became wizard of oz (they donned black capes and tall pointed hats) with a gay theme, then as they sang on they wrapped themselves in bath robes. There was a scene much later on that kinda mesmerised me... Rufus in a bathrobe on the piano. And he was singing a pretty soulful song! Don't know why that appealed to me that much; perhaps it's the unpretentiousness (bathrobe) and sincerity (he was really into the song) of that portrayal.
.... ya but it was disturbing. People were cheering and whistling when they were stripping... and I didn't know how to react to that. Must entertainment come from sleaziness? I suppose they could argue that there was nothing wrong with it, and no harm was done in any way... but if excitement is often sought in this fashion, what do you think it will develop into? What do you think it
has developed into? As audience, we're adopting a voyeuristic perspective in the first place. I mean... sigh. Don't know how to put this in words. But harmful things often stem from 'harmless' things (or so they seem). Who are we to judge if something is harmful or harmless? We're generally not any more perceptive than another body of flesh and bones.
And I do love his music but I felt quite unsettled during the gig 'cuz of his lyrics I suppose.
Oh well. But I do do love Memphis Skyline......
What is an autograph worth? Days will pass and things will fade away...
What is an autograph worth, compared to his soul?