Friday, May 06, 2005 @10:37 AM
I'm not a very big fan of politics... which means that the Romantics period module (1760-1830) isn't going to be really easy, with all the revolutions and Dissenters for reform. Still, I've discovered similar characteristics of modern-day society (or at least that I know of) that starkly reflect the traits of yore... and which have been popular before, ages down the timeline. Which means that there have always been certain elements of art and life that appeal to the common masses! So much for claims that there is no 'human nature'.
It's often about Primitive senses and the primitive being in reaction to elemental emotions like love and terror, which seem to constitute the timeless human experience. And that's why production of love and horror flicks will never end - the public (once called vulgar during 1870s) masses always had an inclination towards Gothicism and sentimentalism. And though critics have censured the vulgarities and pretentiousness, respectively, of these modes of fiction, they keep getting revived throughout the centuries to pander to the majority. Not forgetting that these two types of fiction do have their merits in illustrating certain themes, these sure are ways to propagate your bestseller or Hollywood blockbuster. And I suppose if the public likes it.........
Anyway. Another thing that came to mind when I read about the Romantics was blogs. Letters became really popular during that era because there was a sudden interest in the interior mind of the artist, an epiphenomena of the individualist, republican roarrrhoooha. Self-interest (Adam Smith...) was popularised amidst calls by other conservative artists to place society before self. Anyway. the public just loved to peruse published, personal ramblings of various
Confessions... which reflects the voyeuristic blog-viewing habits of people nowadays, doesn't it? And the reason people keep blogs is an aspect of the expressive,
sentimentalist tide that occupied a part of the Romantic era... which is clearly revived in this blog-wave.
Don't worry, I recognise the irony of typing this post. :)
Ah.. back to reading Godwin. *shudders*