<body> <body>

Tuesday, March 01, 2005 @1:51 AM

I'm trying to stay away from the hairdresser's for as long as possible. Just tried to trim the fronts of my hair... it's quite alright, actually!

Anyways. Did I ever mention that the Brits are throughly impressed that Singaporeans can speak two languages? "How come you guys speak English so well? Oh, I see, then what do you speak at home? Really? That's so awesome... *look of envy*" Ever since I came here, I've become immensely proud of my mother tongue - though I can't speak it that well. The British are generally monolingual. Which is really quite... sad. I mean, I'm not disparaging them or anything, and an additional language is not very practical here if you're intending to stay within the boundaries of your country, but the British themselves realise how handicapped they feel sometimes, with just one language to boast of. I'm becoming very thankful for the dual-language thingy in Singapore now. Sure, it isn't really effective but it sure is better than nothing... better treasure your mother tongue, y'all.

Ailin has got the "y'all" thing imbued into all of us! She says it with a really cute accent and I'm starting to adopt it...

It's been really cold these few days. Intermittent snow-dust, but none has set. Oh well, guess it's fine since I've got my fair share of snow this year. :) Yeah anyways. I went to the Quiet Place this morning to pray and sing for quite a while before the weekly prayer meeting. I had the whole place to myself! It's a room situated at one end of a garden on campus(the garden has funny lump-shaped bush sculptures - which really look quite gross) and it's set aside especially for personal/small group prayer and devotion. Cool isn't it? And I just found out from Lucy today that York is one of the more privileged universities in northern England because we have such a large CU and so many activities organised. Really really thankful for the support here. According to her, only 1 in 10,000 university students in Japan are Christians. Imagine the support they get :( Oh wells...

Seminar today was all about the pre-raphaelite brotherhood and their idealisation of women in their portraits and paintings. The poetry discussed involved prostitution and the objectification of women as well. At one point during the seminar I actually felt my disgust for men rise up again (yes, I was quite a misandrist once)... but after prayer it went away. Just now I did my other seminar readings and read about the vice of women (who manipulate men, esp with their beauty). Linked it to Samson and Delilah and the various women that led to the fall of men in the bible... and realised that women are, really, equally evil. Bah! All Man has sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. Who are we to claim our own righteousness?

I'm not self-righteous -- I know I'm very susceptible to sin and weakness, and I've disappointed the Lord so many times.
But it's times like these I really understand God's hatred of sin... and His pain from us turning away......

Alright, gotta read some Pre-Raphaelite stuff before I sleep.

Girl in Question

j.tan.eq
King's College London
English Literature
a fluffball of non-sequitors
and loving the Lord


Psalm 139:9-10

If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there Your hand will guide me,
Your right hand will hold me fast.

LINKS

.child sponsorship. send a cow. ethically green. ethical fashion. war on want - fight global poverty. tax justice network. killer coke and coca-cola crimes. christian apologetics. a father's heart for you. cute overload. singapore angle. international volunteering opportunities. teaching abroad. online bible. our daily bread. all recipes. online music marketplace.

SPEAK IT



PICTURES

London, Egypt, Barcelona & Paris: Jun-Jul '07.
Skiing at Flaine Resort, France: Mar '07.
Tanzania: Jan '07.

& ARCHIVES

October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
August 2008